Sunday, August 5, 2012

Dog Gone Wild

I love dogs.  I have always loved dogs, when I was little we would practically steal stray dogs and try and keep them. I have always had animals, they are a pretty big part of my life, always have been always will be. Not having a dog seemed strange.  Stranger still was the moment when I decided to not get one. When I first came to Africa in February of 2011 I decided it would be best to not get a dog.  Everything I heard from other Peace Corps volunteers confirmed those thoughts, “they are expensive to feed, Malawians don’t get it, people will abuse it, it makes it harder to get away from your site, they can get pregnant, you’re only here for 2 years, what are you going to do with it when it is time for you to go back to America” and on and on.  Thus, I came to the conclusion that I did not want a dog, in this case it really did sound like more trouble than it was worth.
 
However, like so many animal people, it doesn’t matter what you plan for, they seem to find you no matter where you go or what you do. Enter, my dog, Dora.     

Late July of 2011 my neighbor Benson’s dog, Tiger, gave birth…again.  One of the things about Malawi, if it can be pregnant it either is pregnant, will be pregnant or just got done being pregnant.  There were 5 puppies in the litter, the usual mix, girls and boys.  I had been on the lookout for a couple of male puppies for another PCV (Peace Corps Volunteer, try and keep up with the acronyms) and wouldn’t you know it there were two males here! So once they were a few weeks older I started bringing them over to my house a couple times a week to give them a little extra food, socialize them, keep them hydrated, you know basic stuff that in America would be a no brainer, not here, they need extra attention here.

Pretty soon, their little sister began tottering over to my house with her brothers.  Early on she seemed ok, kinda runty but cute, she had a ridge of hair going the opposite direction up her spine (like a Rhodesian ridgeback) however a couple weeks in she started getting weird.  A couple calls later and we had a diagnosis, canine distemper virus (CDV).  At 6 weeks old she had CDV, my heart dropped, this kills most dogs that it infects and we vaccinate for it like crazy back home, many dogs that do survive it have residual nerve damage their entire lives.  I was worried but I decided that if she was willing to give it a shot then, by golly, I’d help her fight it if I could. 

Being in the middle of rural Africa, that didn’t mean a whole lot.  Everything I could do basically turned into giving her oral rehydration solution (ORS) and food, and since it’s a virus, that’s really all you could do in America. Wouldn’t you know it though, she kept going.  The nerve damage stuck around though.  Her balance was really really bad for a very long time and she couldn’t control her bladder at all.  Through all of this my neighbors kept insisting that she was my dog, I kept saying no, I was just helping her until I could find a home for her.  And I did mean to, I was going to find her a home.  Then I had my epiphany, that came in form of another puppy at a neighbor’s house.  Couldn’t have been more than a couple months old, dehydrated, sick, hungry, covered in fleas and ticks.  I started second guessing giving my puppy away, with her disabilities what kind of a shot did she have? The answer came in mid September when I had to leave for two weeks for a training in Dedza, a town in south central Malawi.   

When I got back I saw the puppy stumbling around my neighbor’s yard looking, if it was possible, worse than when I left. I asked what happened and why on earth was she so filthy? Apparently she fell down their chimbudzi or, pit latrine toilet, for two days! What?! Imagine, this little thing, barely over her CDV, still suffering massive nerve damage, picture walking into trees and chairs and falling off steps, fell in a toilet!! Actually if she was going to fall in a chim this would have been the one to do it.  they knew I like her and actually got her out with some rope.  I think a lot of people here would have left her. 

Poor kiddo, she was a mess, really dehydrated, and had picked up a bad stomach bug down there.  So I got her home, washed her off, got some more ORS down her, some cooked rice and some antibiotics from my medical kit.  I sat down and came to the conclusion that , yes, the villagers were right, she was my dog. I named her Dora, after another famous explorer.

So what is the point of this, why have two blogs about living in Africa (the other one is www.thenext2years.blogspot.com ) well, the way I see it I can explore the weirdness of having a dog here and just talk to dog people.  Believe it or not, not everyone cares about that.  I figure some people do so we’ll chat for a bit. So if you have questions about dogs in Africa, my dog, or anything else, feel free, ask away!

No comments:

Post a Comment